Head & Shoulders SWOT analysis – SWOT analysis of Head & Shoulders: A well-known product of shampoo for removing dandruff, made originally in the US by Procter & Gamble for the American market. The brand is controlled by P & G and gives confidence to both women and men with hair problems like dry, itchy scalp and hair loss.
Head & Shoulders comes with an assortment of shampoos that are suitable for all types of hair, including oily, normal, and dry hair. They also address issues such as the itchy scalp, dandruff frizzy, and dry hair. The Head & Shoulders is sold in seven variations, the most popular include anti-hair fall shampoo silky black shampoo dry scalp shampoo and silky and smooth shampoo.
It also includes the men’s hair care shampoo, which is designed for those who have dandruff in their hair. The shampoo is available in over 130 countries around the globe and is one of Procter & Gammel’s most popular items and the top-selling products in the category of hair care.
Head & Shoulders fun facts: Launched in 1961 amidst the chignons and beehives of the day, Head & Shoulders has outlived many a hairstyle and remains the world’s number one selling shampoo, shifting a gigantic 29 million units a year.
About Head & Shoulders – SWOT analysis of Head & Shoulders
Company: Procter & Gamble
CEO: Bob McDonald
Founder: John Parran Jr
Year founded: 1961
Annual Revenue: USD$102.2 Million
Profit | Net income: USD$11.8 Million
Number of employees: 399
Products & Services: Head & shoulders Anti-Dandruff Shampoo | 2-in-1s | Conditioners | Hair treatments
Head & Shoulders Competitors
SWOT analysis of Head & Shoulders – Head & Shoulders SWOT analysis
SWOT Analysis Of Head & Shoulders is brand-based. SWOT Analysis of Head & Shoulders evaluates the brand’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. Advantages and disadvantages can be attributed to internal factors while opportunities and threats can be attributed to external factors. We will be discussing Head & Shoulders SWOT Analysis. Below is the detailed SWOT Analysis of Head & Shoulders.
Let’s talk about Head & Shoulders’ SWOT assessment.
Strengths of Head & Shoulders – Head & Shoulders SWOT analysis
- Partnership With Procter & Gamble: Procter & Gamble has been one of the prominent players globally in the personal and consumer care sector and has many successful brands such as Pantene, Gillette, and Olay Oral-B. The strong backing of P & G ensures that the products are backed up by sound research and extensively distributed via a solid distribution channel.
- Addresses the majority of hair problems of the target category: Head & Shoulders is advertised as a solution to hair problems and offers a variety of products that address a range of hair issues, such as scalp problems and dry hair, hair fall, and frizziness as well as hair loss and dandruff.
- Right targeted: The hair care market is extremely fragmented, and therefore targeting is critical. Head and Shoulders began by focusing on a specific segment, which included those who suffered from dandruff. While it initially was a shampoo that contained medicated ingredients, it soon was rebranded as a day-to-day use shampoo to treat dandruff however, it is similar to regular shampoos. As competition increased for anti-dandruff shampoos, it expanded to other hair problems like frizziness, itchy scalp, and dryness.
- The history of the company: Head & Shoulders was first introduced as a medicated shampoo to treat dandruff in 1961, by the firm Procter & Gamble. The brand was among the first brands to launch in this segment and they were the first one to have an advantage over the competition.
- Variants: An anti-dandruff shampoo isn’t a good idea if it’s sold with the same scent as Head & Shoulders was quick to recognize this. As competition increased, they launched new scents such as mint, lemon, and cool menthol that helped consumers get bored just using plain shampoo for removing dandruff.
- Benefit placement: The positioning of the Head & Shoulders is a benefit positioning that focuses on an issue that is commonplace, such as dust mites. The benefit is evident in that it eliminates dandruff regular use. This clear and consistent positioning is the reason for more businesses to be drawn to the brand.
Weaknesses of Head & Shoulders – SWOT Analysis Of Head & Shoulders
- Inability to live the promises made: Head & Shoulders claims to be a shampoo that treats people suffering from dandruff. But, it’s not clear whether the shampoo will be able to effectively bring an end to dandruff as people have noticed that almost always required shampoos that are prescribed by medical professionals.
- Dependence upon the name: After they started using Head & Shoulders customers started realizing that they needed to continue using it if they stopped using it, and the issue reoccurred. The dependence of customers on the brand of shampoo has resulted in negativity for the product.
- The fight against chemicals: There are many online campaigns that advise consumers to stay clear of products that contain chemicals. This has affected the market for shampoos and conditioners dramatically and many people choose to use organic or ayurvedic products or natural ingredients to treat their hair.
Opportunities of Head & Shoulders – Head & Shoulders SWOT analysis
- Large potential for the market: With increased levels of stress levels and water quality, more sufferers suffer from issues with hair loss and other hair-related issues. This is opening up new possibilities because multinationals are creating new niche demands each one of which is leading to new product ranges.
- Men’s Hair Care: There is immense scope for men’s hair care and it is possible to move beyond anti-dandruff shampoos to new kinds of hair gels, creams, and hair oils for guys. These could be a brand new item in the line that targets Head & Shoulders.
Threats of Head & Shoulders – SWOT analysis of Head & Shoulders
- Competition: The major rivals in the category of Head & Shoulders are Clinic Plus, Pantene. Loreal and Dove.
You May Also Like:
- Listerine SWOT analysis
- Kaya Skin Care Clinic SWOT analysis
- Dabur Babool SWOT analysis
- Taj Hotels SWOT analysis
- SWOT analysis of Versace
This is the SWOT analysis of Head & Shoulders. Please let us know if you have additional suggestions to add.
Let us know What do you think? Did you find the article interesting?
Write about your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.